Sunday, September 4, 2011

Delphinus Delphis


A common dolphin leaping between Mouls Island and The Rumps, July 2011.

Commiserations on a bad summer this year if you're a Cornish fisherman; These guys (common dolphins) have been around in force the past few months cruising the North Cornish coast and chewing up all of the mackerel for miles around. At least that's the excuse I'm sticking with for striking out and coming home empty handed every time I've gone fishing...

Paired up, off Pentire Head. July 2011.

These images were taken on a trip with Cornish Sea Tours (my housemate Matt's rib sea-safari outfit, which is handy!), using an old olympus trip 35mm compact camera which is about 30 odd years old. Matt reckons that he can count on one hand the number of days that he hasn't seen dolphins since June this year, not a bad record!

IMPORTANT!
If you find a stranded marine animal in South West Britain:
  • For live dolphins, porpoises or whales call BDMLR immediately on (01825) 765546
  • For all dead marine animals call Cornwall Wildlife Trust immediately on (0845) 2012626 - my friend Jo will probably answer the phone.
  • For live seals in difficulty call the National Seal Sanctuary immediately on (01326) 221361
Ta!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. are you on twitter. Would you mind if I were to repost this? cheers, J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fine to repost this, go for it!
    I'm not on twitter I'm afraid, but I post on here every Sunday and have a website of my images at www.matarney.com.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete